Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Preparing to Leave

We are really finally settled here in Georgia. Everything is unpacked. Everything has been designated a "spot" in the house, from toys to kitchen gadgets. We've been buying local art pieces, pottery, paintings, baskets and more to decorate with. The walls are finally displaying more than just paint. Family photos have been hung upstairs, paintings from Yerevan and from the local Georgian art market are gracing the walls downstairs. This is now our home.

And in a little over a month, I have to pack up myself and our 3 year old and leave. To go back to the states so that I can give birth in a safer environment than what is offered by Georgian hospitals. I want to leave and go to the states for the birth, but at the same time, I don't want to leave my home and my husband for 3 (or more) months. I just don't.

David and I will be celebrating 10 years of marriage in January. In those 10 years, we really haven't spent a whole lot of time apart. A week here or there when I would travel to Alabama to visit my elderly grandparents - but most of the time he was able to swing the time off of work and go with me. Since we have been in Tbilisi, he has gone to Yerevan on business 3 times. The first time was a 2 week visit and Blaine and I went with him. The second time was from Monday to Friday, so it was over in the blink of an eye. This last trip was another 2 weeker and Blaine and I did not travel with him.

It sucked. I missed him terribly. Blaine wanted to know where daddy was - every time we would go to the Embassy to pick up mail Blaine would light up "we're going to daddy's office!". I would try to explain that daddy wasn't in his office, he was in Yerevan, but Blaine just doesn't grasp the concept of that yet. How the heck am I going to explain that he isn't going to see his dad for upwards of 2 months? How do I tell him that? How do I prepare him to leave the man he absolutely adores and hero worships? Hell, how do I prepare myself?

1 Comments:

At 10/05/2005 3:01 PM, Blogger Donna said...

On a positive note - if you guys can get through this, Dave could go on Survivor - it is the same amount of time! Oh, wait he is WAY too skinny for that!!
Love,
Donna & Randy

 

<< Home