Tuesday, August 02, 2005

I get by with a little help from my friends

When David and I* decided to join the ranks of the Foreign Service and move every two to three years to countries/cities that most people have never even heard of we knew we would be giving up many of the creature comforts of home. What we didn't expect was the support, love and care packages that have been sent to us. So, please indulge me for a few moments while I blog a big ol' thank you.

My first letter after we arrived here came from a dear friend in Seattle. It's seems slightly funny to call someone you have never met a dear friend, but I do consider Kristin as such. She is an "internet" friend. Someone I have never talked to face-to-face, but have poured my heart out to via the magic of computers. Her letter brought a huge smile to my face and touched my heart.

Another internet friend, Nicole, has sent me care packages of oreos, books and most importantly, videotapes of crap reality TV. She and I joke that we share a brain - and our taste in reading material and television shows is proof of that. She taped so many shows that she thought I might like and she was dead on right about every single one of them. I'm now addicted to "Hell's Kitchen" and cannot wait to receive my next care package from her with more videotapes. Once again, Nicole and I have never met in real life, but it really doesn't matter. When she had her third child (her first girl!) earlier this year, I couldn't have been happier for her.

Mary. What can I say about Mary. She amazed me. She read my blog entry about trying to make chocolate chip cookies and went out and made up an amazing box of goodies for me. Cookie sheets, flour, brown sugar, vanilla, various bags of chips, spatulas - so much stuff. I was so overwhelmed when I opened the box I just sat down and cried at the thought that went into it. Now, Mary and I have met, once, in the real world. But she and I would never have known each other if it weren't for the internet.

My parents and my husband's parents. Well, obviously I have met them in real life. They continuously send the most delightful packages full of love. I adore getting mail from them. Not to mention the magazine subscriptions they have signed us up for (though I'm still not thrilled with David's subscription to "Stuff" magazine. LOL)

Our friends back in the states who sent packages for Blaine's birthday this year. Donna, Randy, Katie, Lukas and Heidi, Scott, Nicholas and Julie & Claire. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You helped make a little boy's birthday so wonderful.

And there are others who have said they will send things or have packages in transit to us - I just want you all to know how much just the THOUGHT means to David and I. We love and appreciate you all. Sometimes getting mail is the highlight of our week and it's because of all of you. Thank you so much, from the bottom of our hearts. We will never, ever forget your generosity.

*Yes, I said David and I. Even though he is the one with the official paying job, it's not a job he would have taken without my full support and I had an equal say in the decision making process. Once again, you can see why I love this man so much.

0 Comments:

<< Home