Sunday, July 03, 2005

Happy Fourth of July. Send food.

We celebrated last night with a picnic and fireworks hosted by the American Embassy and the American Chamber of Commerce here in Tbilisi at Turtle Lake. We all had a great time, Blaine, I think, had the best time of all.

It's an odd feeling to celebrate American Independence in a foreign country. The hot dogs and hamburgers (not to mention the potato salad and "baked" beans) don't taste quite the same. The majority of the people surrounding you, celebrating with you, are not Americans. They are Georgians, most of whom either work at the Embassy or are related to someone who works at the Embassy. They are there to enjoy the food, the drink, the music and the camaraderie, but they are not there to hold their hand over their heart and sing the Star Spangled Banner when the fireworks start.

It was a fun night. But it also made me reflect on what I miss about America. It made me nostalgic for all the things that most Americans take for granted. And I'm not talking about stuff like our freedom and the first amendment. No, I'm talking about the important stuff. Like the ability to get a sub sandwich. Sliced deli meat. Hershey's chocolate. Buffalo wings. A Frosty from Wendy's. You know, the really, really, important stuff. Well, it's important when you are pregnant and you can't get it. If anyone can ship me a sub and have it stay fresh during the three week trip, I'll be forever grateful. Roast beef, please. Provolone cheese. Lettuce, tomato, pickles and mayo. I don't care for Subway - if you can find a nice mom & pop sub shop, that would be great.

1 Comments:

At 7/05/2005 11:33 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

 

<< Home