Monday, November 13, 2006

Band-Aids and Old MacDonald, with a little Santa Claus on the side

Sometimes I think the only reasons I make it through a tough week or day are my kids. I had a really bad week last week with Kyra. Very sick. How sick? Sick enough that I braved a Georgian ER at 12:30 AM. Dave was out of town (naturally) and, thank the gods for my friends Carla and Ella, I was able to take her in. Long story short, it took 2 more days to get a decent diagnosis, get her on medication, and get her on the road to recovery. Through it all, when I thought I was going to lose my mind from lack of sleep or stress, something would happen - something Blaine would say or do - that would make me laugh, relax, and appreciate the fact that even when it's bad? It's really good. Really, really good.

So, without further ado, the latest "Blaine-isms" that have had me cracking up.

Blaine: Mom, I want to watch Band-Aid
Me: HUH?
Blaine: You know, the movie. Band-Aid.
Me: I don't know that movie. Can you tell me what happens?
Blaine: Mooooooom (insert eye roll here) you know what movie. Band-Aid. In the forest. With the deer and skunk.
Me: Oh. Bambi
Blaine: That's what I said. Band-Aid.


Another gem, from when we were visiting our friend's house:

Blaine: I'm all done eating now.
Me: Please say "excuse me" then go give your plate to Castillo. Oh, and tell Castillo "obrigado".
Blaine: Why?
Me: Obrigado means thank you in Portuguese. Castillo speaks Portuguese.
Blaine: Ok. Hey Castillo, OLD MACDONALD!

And last, but not least, Blaine is all about Christmas. He knows it's coming. He's trying to be good. But sometimes? He has issues. Like the 2 days in a row at school that he had 2 time outs. The second day I pick him up and we have the following conversation:

Me: So, 2 time outs again today, huh.
Blaine: Yeah. I wasn't listening and wasn't behaving
Me: So, do you think I should call Santa? You know he keeps track of all the good things and the bad things. I always call him when you are good. So do you think I should call him and talk to him about the time outs?
Blaine: Hmmm. No. Don't call Santa. He's very busy.

How can you not smile when you have a kid like Blaine? I think it would be impossible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home