Sunday, July 23, 2006

Why I never seem to have time to update my blog



She's teething. And that means my sweet, adorable, happy baby has been replaced by a monster. A monster that doesn't sleep. That has to be held 24/7. That acts as if you have abandoned her to the gypsies if you let someone else hold her.

I'm exhausted. I'm sometimes incoherent from the lack of sleep. She went from taking 2 great naps every day - usually a 2 to 3 hour nap in the morning and at least another hour nap in the afternoon - to maybe taking 3 half hour naps each day. Maybe. At night? She alternately sleeps and screams for an hour at a time.

We've tried Tylenol. Doesn't work. Tried homeopathic teething tablets. Don't work. Tried ambesol/orajel. Just pisses her off more. We busted out the bottle of Motrin the other night since she has attained the magic age of 6 months. It worked for about 3 hours of blissful sleep.

This is one of the few downsides of being a nursing mother. No one else will do. David can go in to her at night and try to soothe her, but 95 percent of the time she will scream even louder when she realizes it is not me picking her up. And she doesn't even want to nurse. She just wants me because she associates me with the comfort. Usually I can just hold her and soothe her back to sleep. But you do this 10x a night = exhaustion.

But relief may be in sight. Today I noticed that tooth number 1 has started poking through the gums on the lower right. Let's just hope the next eleventybillion teeth are easier. It's always hardest the first time, right? RIGHT???

2 Comments:

At 7/24/2006 8:51 PM, Blogger kristin said...

Jen, have you tried clove oil? It tastes awful, but will numb her gums almost instantly.

Poor baby.

 
At 7/24/2006 8:51 PM, Blogger kristin said...

Jen, have you tried clove oil? It tastes awful, but will numb her gums almost instantly.

Poor baby.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home