Friday, May 04, 2007

Strawberry season

Finally. Strawberry season is upon us. And just in time, too, since we will be leaving Georgia in about 4 weeks. The strawberries here are remarkable. So sweet and delicious. I buy a half-kilo at a time, and I tend to eat about half of that just while I'm washing and hulling them.

Kyra has been introduced to strawberries now. Last year, she was still far to young for them, but this year, I let her try one and she loved it. She and I have strawberries for snacks almost every day. Blaine used to love strawberries as well, until I made the mistake of telling him that the little specks on the outside of the strawberries were seeds. Now Mr. Picky won't touch them (even though he had just consumed 5 or 6 strawberries when I told him this. Note to self: don't mention seeds ever again).

In a few weeks, the strawberries will be gone and cherries will be abundant. I was never a huge fan of cherries until we moved to Georgia. Now, I'm am anxiously awaiting the cherry harvest. Hopefully it will be in full swing before we leave.

This is one of the things I will miss most about Georgia. When fruits and veggies are in season they are the best I have ever had. The tomatoes, cucumbers, the melons and the strawberries. They are fantastic. I am gorging myself on them now because I don't know when I will ever taste such delicious fresh produce again. I can't begin to describe the difference between the produce here and the produce that you get in the US. You would just have to take a trip to Georgia and see (and taste) for yourself. Come during strawberry season, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home